Sunday, January 3, 2021

Set some SMART goals for 2021

Making any News Year’s Resolutions?  Many people do, only to forget about them by February or so.  I read that about 75% of us make resolutions which are broken only a week later.  About half of us actually get through 6 months of keeping our resolutions.  How can you set some health goals that you are more likely to keep in 2021?

First – think of some S.M.A.R.T. goals.  


Specific
– many people set goals that are vague.  Many students in my class start out with goals like, “I will eat healthier.” When I ask them what specific thing they will do, many haven’t really thought about it.  A more specific goal would be, “I will eat a piece of fresh fruit at lunch every day.”   Not a hard thing to do and a very good, healthy habit.

Measurable – the goal of “I will eat healthier” is not really measurable.  But it is easy to determine whether or not you are eating a piece of fruit every day for lunch.  In an earlier blog, I mentioned how a health educator told my sister to eat some baby carrots at lunch every day.  This is easy to do and something I do every day.  Carrots are full of beta-carotene which promotes healthy skin (see Foods for Healthy Skin) as well as many other benefits.

Attainable – don’t set yourself up for failure.  A failure goal would be: “I will lose 20 pounds in one week.”  Not realistic.  Set some very small, healthy goals and you are much more likely to meet that goal.  If you have never gone to the gym, and you don’t like going to the gym, don’t set a goal of: “I will go to the gym and work out every day for an hour”.  I know people who join a gym in January and then never go – they pay every month but never go.  Or, they join a gym, go a few times in January, and then lapse for the rest of the year.  A better goal would be: “I will walk at lunch every day for 15 minutes”. 

Realistic – Setting a goal of running a marathon if you hate to run, is not very realistic.  The goal you set can be a challenge but one you know you can work towards and achieve.  And if you don’t make the bigger goal you set for yourself, then modify your goal.  “I will walk after lunch for 15 minutes Monday through Friday.”  “I will work up to walking for 30 minutes at lunch every day.” 

Timely – put a time frame in your goal.  Not, “I will exercise more.”   But add in some time period.  “I will go for a 30-minute bike ride every Sunday.” 

Try setting a healthier eating habit goal for yourself and a goal to exercise more.  I like healthy goals of adding things to your diet.  I am not big on goals like, “I will give up sweets.”  Why?  Who doesn’t like some sweets?  I try to get the students in my class to focus on adding some healthy foods to their diet and not on what they might subtract. Injohnnyskitchen recommends his health hack:  Take a piece of fruit when leaving the house.  Simple, but oh so healthy. 

Second:  Set some SMART goals for 2021. Here are some ideas for: Healthier Eating Goals:  As a start to eating healthier, just choose one goal for 2021.

  • I will eat a piece of fresh fruit for lunch every day.
  • I will drink a half cup of real, 100% juice at breakfast every day.
  • I will eat a handful of nuts at lunch every day.
  • I will drink some low-fat milk at breakfast and lunch every day.
  • I will eat a whole grain cereal for breakfast at least 4 days a week.
  • I will use olive oil or canola oil when cooking.
  • I will bring some yogurt in my lunch every day to eat at lunch or as a snack.
  • I will drink four glasses of water every day.
Add fresh fruit to your day.

Exercise goals – these don’t have to cost a lot of money for gym memberships and don’t need to take hours out of your day. 

  • I will do a few minutes of balance exercises every day.  This can be as simple as standing on one leg, and bending the other leg.
  • I will do some arm stretches after sitting at my computer/laptop for an hour.
  • I will stand up and walk around after sitting for an hour.
  • I will exercise for 2 minutes, every day, for 5 days a week.  James Clear recommends starting with a 2-minute exercise goal.  Who can’t exercise for 2 minutes?
Take time for a stretch break.

No time for exercise?  WebMD recommends building exercise into your day.  When I used to commute to work, there was little time to exercise so I focused on exercising at lunch.  Whether it was a walk with friends or a 30-minute aerobic class at work, I tried to get some exercise in.  Or, exercise after work – stop off at the gym before you go home.  Many people find that once they get home, it is hard to go back out again to go to the gym.  Buy a pedometer or Smart watch to track your steps. Measure your steps for a week or two and then set goals to increase the number of steps you walk every day by 300 steps a day. 

What are some healthier goals you can set for yourself for 2021?  Set one or two SMART goals and see if you can beat those who quit only a week later.  Make your healthy goals a habit for a healthier you in 2021.

Sources:  week , S.M.A.R.T , Injohnnyskitchen, Goals , James Clear , WebMD Image sources: Smart goals   , Piece of fruit  , stretch break 

No comments:

Post a Comment