Sunday, January 4, 2015

How to be Healthier in 2015

My nephew posted a sign on Facebook that read:  This year I will get to a Healthier place”.   It was posted at Anytime Fitness in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.   How many people want to be healthier, make New Year’s Resolutions to be healthier and then fizzle out after a few weeks or months?  My husband says the gym was packed yesterday as it usually is in January, then less in February and by May it is back to the regulars.   So what could you do to make 2015 a healthier year with goals you can keep? 
  1.  Start small – set small, specific, realistic goals
a.        NOT - “I will go to the gym more”
b.      But set goals like:
                    i.      I will go up and down the steps in my home (or at work) 5 times a day (aerobic challenge)
                   ii.      I will park well away from the door when I go shopping (increase your steps)
                   iii.      I will buy a Fitbit or pedometer and increase my steps by 1,000 over what I do now (measure your steps for 3-4 days, then set a goal of 1,000 more steps than your average
                    iv.      I will do 10 sit ups during a TV commercial every day
                    v.      I will download a 7 minute App for my phone and do the 7 minute workout 5 times a week (Scientific 7-Minute Workout 
       2.    Exercise with a friend, group
a.       Find a walking partner and set a time and day to walk – every Saturday morning
b.      Find a class at the gym – yoga, aerobics, Zumba – that fits into your schedule and go – with a friend or by yourself and make friends
c.       Find a club – bicycling club, walking club, running club – and go at least weekly
        3.  Mix it up – many people get tired of doing the same old routine.  So this year mix it up.
a.       For two months do the 7 minute challenge
b.      For two months – do the stair challenge
c.       For two months – park far away from the store’s door (warmer months may be good for this goal)
d.      For two months – try out a class at your gym or community center
e.      For two months – walk with a friend
f.        For two months – wear a pedometer

Add some exercise to your daily routine and make 2015 your healthiest year ever!  

Sources:  The Scientific 7- Minute Workout, Image Source: Anytime Fitness, Grand Rapids, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment