1. Berries – all berries are super healthy foods. They are full of vitamins like vitamin C which can help fight off infections and they have a lot of antioxidants.
- Serve berries at breakfast by adding them to oatmeal, dry cereal, a smoothie.
- Pack in a lunch box with some yogurt or in a container for your child to add to yogurt, a salad or to eat a handful with their lunch.
2. Eggs – a great source of protein, the egg yolk provides iron and eggs provide lecithin which helps your child’s memory and helps them concentrate in class.
- Serve some scrambled eggs mixed with cheese for a protein and calcium boost at breakfast.
- Pack a hard boiled egg in their lunch.
- Breakfast – serve some whole grain cereal like oatmeal, whole grain waffles, whole grain toast, whole grain English muffin.
- Lunch – make a sandwich with whole grain bread, whole grain bagel, whole grain pita bread. Include some whole grain crackers like Triscuits. If your child likes chips, pack some whole grain chips like Sun Chips.
- Send some hummus with cut up vegetables
- Include as a dip, add a slice to salads or sandwiches.
- Nuts – pack in a snack bag, pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or an almond butter sandwich.
- Pack a container of yogurt, use yogurt to make a smoothie, pack it for snack time.
- Carrot sticks, celery sticks, even green pepper, red pepper slices. Add to salads, serve with low fat Ranch dressing.
|School Lunch Box|